Prevention of Medical Errors for Florida Nurses
With the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM) publication To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System, the proverbial cat was let out of the bag regarding how many errors were occurring in the medical field and how often they were occurring. Alongside bringing to light the unacceptable number of growing medical errors, the publication did positively highlight measures to ensure their prevention. This course discusses the definition of medical error, types of sentinel events, what events are reportable and examples of common sentinel events and common misdiagnosis reported to the Joint Commission.
This course is designed for Florida nurses seeking to enhance their knowledge of prevention of medical errors and the applicable Florida law. This course meets the Florida Board of Nursing requirement of completion of a two-hour course on Prevention of Medical Errors prior to licensure by examination or endorsement.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe how the Institute of Medicine defines “medical error”
- Describe the types of sentinel events the Joint Commission has identified
- Discuss what factors must be included in a root cause analysis in order for the Joint Commission to consider it “thorough” and “credible”
- Identify what types of adverse incidents must be reported to the Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration
- Identify the most common sentinel events reported to the Joint Commission
- Evaluate the most common misdiagnoses, as recognized by the Florida Board of Medicine, and outline the safety needs of special populations, including non-English speaking patients
In order to receive full contact-hour credit for this CNE activity, participants must:
- Be registered for this activity,
- Review the course material,
- Complete the course post-test and obtain a grade of 70% or higher,
- Complete and submit the course evaluation survey.
- Other requirements for some of the courses may also include participation discussion boards, practice exercises, practice questions, etc.
Conflict of Interest (or lack thereof) for Planners, Authors and Presenters
A conflict of interest exists if any individual/entity that is in a position to influence the content, design, or implementation of the CNE activity is ALSO in a position to benefit financially from the success of a CNE activity.
The planners, authors and presenters of this CNE activity have disclosed no conflict of interest including no relevant financial relationships with any commercial companies pertaining to this CNE activity.
There is no commercial company or sponsor support for this CNE activity.
Non-Endorsement of Products
The National Healthcare Institute CNE provider approval status refers only to continuing nursing education activities and does not imply that there is a real or implied endorsement of any product, service, or company referred to in this activity nor of any company subsidizing costs related to the activity.
Off-Label Product Use
This CNE activity does not include any unannounced information about off-label use of a product for a purpose other than that for which it was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Nursing Board Approvals
National Healthcare Institute (NHI) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the California, Florida and District of Columbia Board of Nursing. All CNE courses offer by National Healthcare Institute follow the standards recommended by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation for this type of educational activities.
Florida Board of Nursing
Licensed Practical Nurse
Clinical Nurse Specialist
Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner
Other Boards Approvals
Florida Board of Respiratory Care
Certified Respiratory Therapist
Registered Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Care Practitioner Critical Care
Respiratory Care Practitioner Non-Critical Care
Florida Council of Dietetics and Nutrition
Florida Electrolysis Council
Florida Council of Licensed Midwifery
- Number: CE110012
- CE Broker ID: 20-337900
- Contact hours: 2 CE Hrs
- Price: $9.95
- Expiration date: Thursday, 08 October 2015